Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gravy vs. Sauce

One of the most important lessons you can learn from an Italian is the difference between gravy and sauce. The answer is quite simple.  A gravy has meat contents, while a sauce does not.

Exhibit A: Marinara Sauce
The sauce you see here is made with tomatoes, garlic, and basil leaves.  There is no meat content.  A sauce may accompany a meat dish (to make an entree such as meatballs marinara), but that does not make it a gravy!  

Other sauces: Alfredo Sauce, Duck Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Soy Sauce, Hot Sauce

Exhibit B: Sunday Gravy
What you see here is a traditional Sunday gravy with meatballs.  Without the meatballs, it looks very similar to a marinara sauce.  However, most Italian gravies are made with the juices from cooked sausages.  After this, tomatoes, herbs, and spices are added to taste.  Now, you can make a Sunday gravy on a Tuesday.  It is called a Sunday Gravy because traditionally, Italian families would make their gravy for Sunday dinner, which was probably served at 3PM.  Everyone had their own recipe.  So, if you find "meat sauce" on a menu, feel free to correct the chef, for it's really a gravy.

Other Gravies: Bolognese Sauce (it's really a gravy), Turkey Gravy, Giblet Gravy, Egg Gravy (actually made with bacon)

Real Italians will not reveal the exact contents of their signature gravies.  Because I am a pure-bred, the contents of my gravy will not be posted on this blog.  I actually had an argument with my mother over this once...

Mom: How do you make your gravy?
Me: I can't tell you.
Mom: Why?
Me: Why do you need to know?  (My mother rarely cooks anything from scratch)
Mom: Dad wants me to make it.
Me: I will make it for you, but I cannot give you the exact recipe.  Sorry.
Mom: I don't understand what the big deal is.  Food is for enjoying.
Me: ...
Mom: Fine.

Just a Note:
Please don't bother asking me how I make my gravy.  If I did not tell my own mother, I will certainly not tell you.  I will make it for you, but I will not write it down for you.  That being said, I'm done for the day.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment