Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Simple Spicy Soup

I had a craving this afternoon.  When I get cravings, they're usually for something salty or spicy.  As I have temporarily banned all chip-related products from my kitchen, I had to find a way to satisfy this craving without my old friend, the potato.

I've been learning about soups lately, and they're great on a cold winter day.  Soups are also a really good option if you're counting calories (well, the broth-based ones anyway).  So, I decided to whip something up with the rest of my chicken broth and see how it went.  I didn't feel like driving to the grocery store in this cold, so here's what went down...


Ingredients (a.k.a. What I Had in the Fridge):
Roughly 1 cup of chicken broth
Celery (1 stalk, diced)
Baby Carrots (About 10, sliced up)
Cherry Tomatoes (A handful, sliced)

Seasonings:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp onion powder

Directions (a.k.a. What I Did):
1. Pour the broth into a saucepan, warm over medium heat.
2. Throw in the vegetables and seasonings, stir.
3. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 10 minutes

The outcome was very fragrant and had a nice spicy bite to it.  If spicy isn't your thing, leave out the paprika.  Simple enough for me!

WW Points: 0!

No comments:

Post a Comment